Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Trader Joe's OH Pumpkin Caramel Kringle

The last few times I've gone to Trader Joe's I've noticed the new dessert they had on their dessert table. At first, I didn't quite know what it was ... and since it's in a wax paper bag I couldn't see it ... so I wasn't quite tempted (that is aside from it listing "Pumpkin Caramel" on the label (which made me want it site unseen). Then one afternoon on a trip to Trader Joe's the OH Pumpkin Caramel Kringle was the sample of the day. And after that sample ... I was hooked and picked up 2 frozen Kringle's to take home (I purchased 2 because the crew member advised they'd be good until Thanksgiving with it being frozen). Having dinner guests over, I left one out overnight to defrost and cut it up into serving sizes prior to dinner.
 
The dessert is sold as a round ring, which is made of a flaky pastry crust which has a caramel "frosting" along the top of it with a sprinkle of chopped pecans throughout. It's a danish dessert - very similar to a danish but the filling is completely encased in the flaky pastry dough. It's filled with a thin layer of pumpkin which tastes like the inside of pumpkin pie. The frosting on the top of it gives it added sweetness and the pecans give it that subtle crunch that's needed to balance it all out. The texture of the kringle is soft but not so soft it'll fall apart.
 
Overall it's quite delicious ... sweet, but not sickeningly so. It's perfect with a cup of coffee, as an after dinner dessert ... or if you're like me, your dessert before dinner. It's satisfying enough that a serving size is more than enough.
 
A serving, 1/12th of the kringle is 190 calories or 5 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment