Saturday, May 31, 2014

Trader Joe's Three Layer Hummus

I grew up in an area where there is a pretty strong Mediterranean presence. Mediterranean foods have been a staple in my "diet" from a young age. Growing up I always had traditional hummus ... and it wasn't until my 20's that I stepped outside the proverbial box and tried flavored hummuses.

Within the last year I've been trying the different flavored hummus varieties available at Trader Joe's. Deciding it was time to try something new I picked up a container of the Trader Joe's Three Layer Hummus and I am so glad I did (I've repurchased it twice already).  The hummus is a unique blend of three hummus flavors, which create quite a worldly experience on the taste buds.

The bottom layer is zesty cilantro hummus, the middle layer is your traditional hummus and the top layer is the classic roasted red pepper hummus. Admittedly the thing that caused me from being hesitant to purchase this for so long was the zesty cilantro hummus. Cilantro is one of those flavor categories that I'm not the biggest fan of ... but the cilantro flavor isn't overwhelming and the mild zip that the zesty portion provides is delightful. The mildly spicy cilantro hummus paired against the traditional helps bring it down a notch, more than likely due to the natural creaminess of it. The roasted red pepper is a nice blanket over the flavors, which ties them all together so well.

I've enjoyed this hummus so much, I've been incorporating it into any dish/snack I can. One of my favorite ways to have this hummus is on a sandwich alongside either deli chicken or boiled ham. It’s also a fabulous addition alongside a salad with grilled chicken or even a hamburger.  The only downside is this hummus (as well as almost all products from Trader Joe's) it doesn't have a very long shelf life, but if you're able to eat it before the expiration date it's well worth the money.

A serving is 2 tablespoons, which is 30 calories or 1 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment