Friday, May 2, 2014

Learning to Avoid Temptations at Work



As I’ve mentioned before I started a new job last month. I had been unemployed and out of work for a while so it was definitely an adjustment to get used to a new routine. New routine as in prepping my breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the week, adjusting to working an 8-5pm shift, learning new processes at work, and in general trying to be prepared for the day since the kitchen would no longer be below me.

The first week of work was a breeze. No temptations presented themselves, which was calming since the first company I worked at would stock the kitchen with snacks (chips, cookies, pretzels, snack cake, etc). The second week I decided to bring some snacks into work since the folks training me snacked all day … and when I hear crunch, I want a crunch. I soon learned that having untracked snacks in my desk can be dangerous particularly when bored or generally tired from working all day.

There are also other temptations in the work place … but they come with a price tag. That being the 2 vending machines in my works lunch room. There’s a soda machine and there’s a snack machine which houses chips, candy bars and snack cakes. There is  at least 3 chips and 3 chocolate bars that I enjoy.

Admittedly, I’m a person who snacks when bored, tired, frustrated, etc., (it’s something I struggle with from time to time) and that vending machine does sometimes call my name. But how do I avoid it? Well … when I have my lunch I sit with my back to the vending machine. This way, if I’m not staring the machine down, the less likely I am going to feel the need to grab a quick bite. One other thing that helps is the fact that I usually do not carry cash with me. The vending machine takes coins and dollar bills only, so the easy accessibility with credit cards is not there.

There have been occasions where I’ve had cash on me and found myself standing in front of the machine contemplating my choice. But knowing and telling myself “Is this really worth it?” or “Do you have the points for this?” or “Why are you wanting this?” I can typically turn myself around and walk away from the temptation.

Now there are other outside factors which are out of my control which I cannot stash cash away for. This being when I come into work and an email is sent out before 8:30am saying a manager feels like pizza and he’s buying pizza for all. Or there are the monthly celebrations for birthdays of the month where cheesecake or cake is served. Its instances like these where I have to be mindful and make the choice whether I want to partake or not. Also whether it’s worth the added points (or if you could them – calories) for whatever is being served.

In most cases, it's not worth it ... but if it were to be, I'd gladly jot it down in my tracker and keep it moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment