Saturday, May 3, 2014

Trader Joe’s Chicken, Barley & Vegetable Soup

Poking around Trader Joe’s refrigerated food section I stopped at their mini soup section. It had been obnoxiously cold in my area (even in spring time) and I just wanted something to warm me up. Admittedly, I’m not the biggest soup fan … but it was just something I’d been wanting, so I picked it up.  For the first time I tried beef and barley soup a few months ago (my aunt had made it) and was pleasantly surprised at how delicious it was.

The fact that the soup listed barley on it is what truly caused me to pick the container up.  The fact that the container also states it’s a good source of fiber was another selling point. I guess the fact that I stand by and “believe in” Trader Joe’s products is why I assumed it couldn’t be all that bad … and I’m glad I made that assumption.  After popping the container in the microwave I let it heat through and I have to say … it was quite good. The broth was flavorful and the vegetable, barley and chicken were plentiful. The only downside was that some of the green beans were “stringy” meaning they were harder to chew and it involved picking some pieces out of bites … but that aside it was a good soup. I enjoyed it alongside a sandwich for dinner and I found it to be filling and delicious.

I don’t necessarily like premade or canned soups because I find they taste “off” but this is as close to homemade as one is going to get (at least in my opinion).

A serving is 1 cup for 100 calories or 2 points plus values OR you can have the entire container for 200 calories or 5 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment