Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Trader Joe’s Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Making a quick Trader Joe’s run to pick up only a few things … I spotted a new delicious looking pie in the baked goods section.  After that discovery, and a quick check of the nutrition facts Trader Joe’s Strawberry Rhubarb Pie entered my shopping basket to come with me to the checkout.

Admittedly I have never had strawberry rhubarb pie in the past. Growing up my family always had the staple apple, pumpkin and the occasional blueberry pies.  The look of the pie was swaying enough … and after having a slice, I have to say it’s a winning pie. If this pie were in a pie contest, I’d give it the first place ribbon. It’s got a deliciously, soft, flaky crust. The filling has noticeable pieces of strawberry and rhubarb in it. It’s mildly sweet … sweet enough to enjoy and find refreshing, but not so sweet it’s a turnoff.  I find the pie itself is delicious and in its own way refreshing. It’s particularly refreshing after having set a slice in the refrigerator to get nice and cool.

If you dissect your food as you eat it, the color of the rhubarb pieces in the pie may possibly make you weary (they come across as lightly brown/grayish) … but if you remind yourself it’s rhubarb then it makes it easier. I found this to be an exceptional pie and those who shared a slice with me, were equally pleased.

The pie is $6.99 and well worth every penny. I want to say this is a new seasonal treat as this is the first time I have seen it at my local Trader Joe’s.

Each serving (1/6th of the pie) is 170 calories or 5 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment