Friday, February 27, 2015

Trader Joe's Maple Chicken Breakfast Sausage

I saw this product advertised under the new products section of the Trader Joe's website. Since I like a protein to accompany my eggs I decided to give the Trader Joe's Maple Chicken Breakfast Sausage a try. Typically my sausage of choice is either chicken or turkey just because of the healthier stats.
The sausages in the package looked promising so I cooked them up one morning to enjoy along with my breakfast, but also to have prepared as part of my meal prep for a few days. The sausages cooked up perfectly in a non-stick pan, browning on each side. They are fully cooked, so you've really only got to warm them up and brown the casings to your liking.

Unlike your "traditional" precooked or frozen breakfast sausage, this product is in a casing. I found the casings bubbled up a bit and browned, but didn't get quite a sear compared to the sear you can get on other frozen breakfast sausages. Plating up my breakfast, I found the sausage was slightly tough because the casing was rather thick. Not insanely thick, but thick enough that it couldn't be easily broken in half with a plastic fork. Flavor wise it was your classic chicken sausage, which was flavored with a mild maple flavor. The sausage wasn't sweet, but it had a hint of maple flavoring in the background.
Overall, the sausages weren't terrible ... but they certainly weren't a favorite of mine.

A serving, 2 sausage links, is 90 calories or 2 points plus values.

1 comment:

  1. I found these sausages to be downright disgusting to be honest

    ReplyDelete