Sunday, February 15, 2015

Silk Cashew Milk - Unsweetened

Many moons ago I made the switch to using almond milk in a majority of my cooking (I still use skim milk on occasion, but I typically go with non-dairy milks). Initially it was quite the venture into almond milk just due to the vast difference in taste and texture (particularly when put into ice coffee). I have always been a cashew fan, so when I heard there was a new Silk Cashew Milk - Unsweetened out I had to try it. Low and behold I spotted it at a local grocery store so I snatched up a container.
 
The Silk brand is my "go-to" for non-dairy milks, so to see a cashew variety I was sold from the get-go. The cashew milk is quite thick and creamy. I feel a lot creamier than your average almond milk and definitely creamer than skim milk. Whereas the flavor of the cashew milk is what sold me. It tastes very much like cashews and is hands down a winner. Clearly, if you're not a fan of cashews, then you would not be a fan of this. This is the unsweetened variety, while they also have an original version which is sweetened and is 60 calories per 1 cup serving.  According to the brands website the product is free of dairy, soy, lactose, gluten, casein, egg and MSG.
 
Unlike some of the other almond milks, these are not available flavored, but that doesn't mean you could not flavor your milk in the comfort of your own  home. I have used this in my oatmeal, adding a drop of vanilla extract into the bowl. It's good alongside some cereal, it's good on its own and it's also good as a milk substitute in recipes.
 
A serving, 1 cup, is 25 calories or 1 points plus value (for my Weight Watchers friends you can have 1/2 cup for 0 points plus values or even up to 2 cups for 1 points plus values)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Shannon. Could not find the cashew milk points anywhere and I am not an "official" ww member yet but on my way! Congrats for your great persistence and loving youself enough to do this for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cashews are one of my favorite things to snack on! I will have to give this unsweetened cashew milk a try.

    ReplyDelete