Sunday, March 1, 2015

Trader Joe's Scallion Pancake (Pa jeon)

One of my favorite dishes at my local Chinese restaurant is the scallion pancake. They're mild in flavor, are crisp but soft and pair perfectly with any sort of Chinese food. Needless to say when I spotted the Trader Joe's Scallion Pancake in the freezer section, snatched up a pack, checked the nutrition facts and purchased it.
I decided to incorporate them into my New Years Eve dinner. Since I forgot to take them out of the freezer, I opted to go with browning in olive oil. I would have preferred to use the oven, but since the oven was being used I found they crisped up and heated through in little to no time.
The unique part is that these pancakes can be cooked in a number of ways. They can be set in the fridge to defrost overnight, slightly defrosted for 45 minutes or they can be cooked frozen  You can also brown them in a pan with a little olive oil while you can also cook them in the oven.

Flavor wise they're your classic scallion pancake. A plain batter with the green onion/scallion pancake running all throughout the pancake. The onion flavor is not overwhelming, it's just right. I found them to be quite satisfying ... and my niece LOVED them which says a lot if a 5 year old is enjoying them! The only difference I find in comparison to scallion pancake at a restaurant is that these are slightly thicker. But I do like the fact you can watch how much oil is used when making these at home!

A serving is 1 pancake, which is 160 calories or 4 points plus values.

1 comment:

  1. I love these. No need to defrost them. No need for any oil because they have enough in them to coat the pan. I just put one or two in a non-stick pan, turn up the heat and they cook up pretty quickly. I like them crispy. Try putting an egg on top or smoked salmon is great too. I eat them any time of the day...as a meal or a snack.

    ReplyDelete