Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Trader Joe's Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter with Flax & Chia Seeds

I like to check out the peanut butter/nut butter selection at my local Trader Joe's. Needless to say when I spotted the Trader Joe's Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter with Flax & Chia Seeds I was intrigued. Knowing the health benefits that come from flax and chia seeds that alone was a huge sway in my decision to purchase.
 
When I opened the container, the peanut butter wasn't really seperated from the oil, but I gave it a good stir to incorporate everything. I did find the texture of it was a lot looser than your average organic/natural peanut butter (I'm not talking Skippy here). There are visible pieces of chiaseed, flax seed and small peanut pieces running throughout the butter. Although ... taste wise I'm not necessarily the biggest fan. It has a peanut butter flavor, but it's very mild. It's not terrible, but it's boring, especially if you're in the mood for peanut butter because it just falls short and flat. This isn't a product I'd reach for to cure my want for peanut butter because it just never quite hits the mark.
 
The flax and chia seeds do have a bite to them, which I appreciated since I'm not a fan of chia seeds when they get mushy in texture. The chia seeds do stick in your teeth, which is a normal 'pain' that comes when enjoying them in any dish. The one thing I didn't like is that you have to refrigerate this peanut butter after opening (which you have to do with any natural peanut butter). Once it's in the refrigerator it develops a whole new texture, which just makes it a total miss.
 
I ended up bringing mine back to Trader Joe's and getting a refund because I wasn't satisfied with it. I gave it a shot, a few, but it just wasn't worth it in the end.
 
A serving, 2 tbsp, is 170 calories or 5 points plus values (or 1 tbsp is 2 points plus values).

No comments:

Post a Comment