Saturday, March 7, 2015

Trader Joe's Trader Jose's Authentic Mexican Style Pork & Red Sauce Tamales

I have been sitting on this review for a while ... but better late than never:
 
When I spotted these Trader Joe's Trader Jose's Authentic Mexican Style Pork & Red Sauce Tamales in the refrigerated section of the store I decided to pick them up. That is, after trying to narrow down my options from the 3 varieties that were available (chicken, vegetable and pork).

Prior to purchasing these the first tamales I really tried are the mini tamales that are sold in the freezer section of Trader Joe's. I quite enjoyed them so I figured a real deal version would only be better. And I was surely right.

I opted to heat these up using the stove-top steaming method. I added water to the bottom of a pan, added in a metal steamer basket and laid the tamales into the pan, covered and let them steam until done. It was truly fool proof and the end result came out quite good.
They were nice and hearty and truly a crowd pleaser.  They had a very mild spice to them which wasn't overwhelming but pleasant. The pork was evident and it wasn't fatty (which is always appreciated). The tamale itself was the perfect texture - soft but still had a little bite to it.

They were so good that I went back to buy more on a few trips but sadly they haven't had them. Which I'm assuming means these were just a seasonal item. It seemed like my store got them in, had them stocked for a week, and never got them again. Which reminds me ... I should probably inquire as to if they're going to be bringing these back next time I pop into the store.
A serving, 1 tamale is 180 calories or 5 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment