Saturday, March 7, 2015

Hostess Red Velvet Cupcakes

Growing up we had a local Hostess factory that sold Hostess products at a discounted price. My mother would pick up snacks for my brother and I ... so I guess you can say my enjoyment of Hostess goodies was born early. There are some snacks by the brand that I'm not a fan of .. but others I am. Case in point when I spotted the Hostess Red Velvet Cupcakes at Wal-Mart I had to pick up a box.
 
It seems like red velvet flavored snacks are taking over grocery store shelves. What I liked about these cupcakes was that they were so fresh. The texture of the cupcake was soft, slightly moist and nicely sweetened. I found them to not be as sweet as say, the Hostess orange frosted cupcake (which for one reason really hits me as sa-weeeet!). The cake is your classic red velvet - a bold chocolate flavor with has a light and airy cream in the middle of the cupcake. The frosting on top is a classic vanilla, but not overly vanilla-y.
 
They're definitely along the lines of the classic chocolate frosted cupcake (just colored red) but I feel this variety is not as sweet. Which may be in part to the vanilla frosting? But either way, they're pretty good.

A cupcake is 170 calories or 4 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment