Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Trader Joe's Trader Giotto's The Original Mortadella with Pistachio Nuts

When the Trader Joe's Trader Giotto's The Original Mortadella with Pistachio Nuts launched I wanted to give it a try .. but the store was out. Then when they had some, they were actually expired and the clerk working told me it was a limited edition thing and they were gone for good. But low and behold upon a recent trip I found a collection of packages in the refrigerated deli meat section, so I of course picked up a package.

Back in the day, I was an Italian sandwich fan. Granted, it's certainly not the healthiest of sandwiches ... but a local Italian pizza shop makes one of the best Italian subs. I haven't had an Italian in over 5 years ... so I decided to give it a try. I will say the package is nearly $4 and you only get 4 ounces (2 servings) in a container ... which for the price point alone makes this an occasional treat.

The mortadella is sliced relatively thin and the meat has chunks of fat and pistachio nuts running throughout it. It's got a slightly smoky flavor to it (along the lines of salami) but it's smooth and delicious. It's not along the same flavor category of your plain ole bologna, this is, shall I say ... classier. I enjoyed it cold alongside some dijon mustard on a wheat flax pita bread. While I also enjoyed it in a wrap, that I slightly heated to crisp the bread. Both ways were enjoyable and it was a delicious treat.

A serving, 1/2 the package (2 ounces) is 140 calories or 4 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment