Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lunch: Pigs in a Blanket – a Healthier Alternative



This is what I had for lunch today … pigs in a blanket, but a healthier alternative to the decadent dish.  I had seen quite a few posts on Instagram showcasing these and after picking up some crescent rolls at the market I let my boyfriend know I was going to make these for lunch and he was intrigued because he said he hadn’t had them since he was a kid.  I used regular hot dogs for my boyfriends and used the Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef Franks for myself and paired them alongside reduced fat crescent rolls.

I opened the crescent rolls (trying not to jump as it popped) and wrapped each hot dog up into the center of the roll and placed onto a Pam spritzed baking sheet.  I then put them into a 350 degree oven and baked for 12 minutes until nice and golden.  My oven cooks very quickly so I have to avoid baking anything per directions or they just burn up completely.

I did have a small side salad with my pigs in a blanket just to have a bit more filling lunch.  And of course who can have pigs in a blanket without mustard and ketchup? Certainly not this girl!

For two crescent rolls it added up to 5 Points Plus values and for 2 hot dogs it was 2 PointsPlus values.  So a great, 7 Points Plus lunch!

QUESTION:
Do you like pigs in a blanket?

2 comments:

  1. I saw when you posted these on Instagram. I picked up the hot dogs at Trader Joes last night and the crescent rolls today. This is on our meal plan for Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy! They were quite yummy! I made a non-healthy version for my BF (using regular hot dogs) and those were a hit ... but I prefer mine the healthier way :)

      Delete