Sunday, March 10, 2013

Deconstructed Pierogi Pasta



A number of weeks back I was really in the mood for pierogi’s.  My mother and aunt make homemade pierogi’s from scratch usually every Christmas – but this year they didn’t make them.  I could have just thrown a box of frozen in some boiling water and called it a day but I was feeling adventurous and while grocery shopping I spotted egg noodles and decided to try out a new recipe.

I boiled some water seasoned with a little bit of salt and when boiling I added in the egg noodles to cook through to al dente.  In a separate pan I added 2 tablespoons of margarine and added in 2 sliced up medium onions.  I let those start to cook and brown together before adding in a splash of water (to keep it from sticking) and added in my squeezed canned sauerkraut.  Since I LOVE sauerkraut I used two cans (which you want to make sure you ring pretty ‘dry’) the two cans was just enough for the whole bag of egg noodles.  I seasoned the sauerkraut and onion mixture with a pinch of black pepper and a pinch of salt.

I boiled the turkey kielbasa in water just to heat it through (you can even throw it in the same pot as the boiling pasta if you’d like since it’s already cooked).  When the noodles were done I drained and added into the pan of sauerkraut and mixed until combined.

I had 1/6th of the pan of pasta and it was 7 points plus values and I paired it with 2 ounces of Jennie-O turkey kielbasa – along side a helping of spicy brown mustard.  Delicious meal!

QUESTION:
Have you ever had deconstructed pierogi pasta before?




No comments:

Post a Comment