Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin British Muffins

I popped into Trader Joe's one afternoon to restock some grocery items. While picking up my beloved multi-grain bagels I noticed English muffins on the bottom shelf. Stooping low, I picked up a pack and the first thing I could smell was a delicious cinnamon raisin aroma wafting off the product. That's when the Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin British Muffins found a spot in my grocery cart.

I'm a fan of English muffins but I typically don't pick them up because they can be boring (particularly the plain variety).  I'm able to find light english muffins that are lower in points/calories but finding flavored english muffins that are lower in calories/points can sometimes be a bit of a stretch.

The muffins need to be cut in half with a knife and toast up beautifully in the toaster oven. They come out crispy, hearty and are rather filling on their own.  I find they are heavier than your average white flour or light English muffin (most notably due to the amount of fiber and protein in each muffin). I’ve enjoyed them with spray butter on them, peanut butter, alongside breakfast (eggs), and even in a savory nature – the muffin being the bread of a deli polish ham sandwich.

What I liked about these muffins was that not only did they smell delicious, they are whole wheat and they're flavored English (or as Trader Joe’s calls them – British) muffins that are healthier in stats. Not only that, but the list of ingredients are all items I can read, understand and actually know what they are. The one “downside” to being able to read the ingredients lists (as with nearly all fresh products available at Trader Joe’s) is they don’t have a very long expiration. Basically, they’ve got about a 5-7 day shelf life, depending on the date on the plastic tag on the bread bags. I’ve found they spoil quickly if left out at room temperature, but they tend to last a little longer if placed in the refrigerator.

Each muffin is 130 calories or 3 points plus values.

1 comment:

  1. Re: spoilage: I accidentally discovered that Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raison British Muffins last months and months with no spoilage at all in an airtight tin in my cupboard. Wonder why my experience was so different from yours? I think that the "cultured wheat flour (for added freshness)" must greatly extend shelf life.

    ReplyDelete