Saturday, May 16, 2015

Trader Joe's Spicy California Rolls

Truthfully, I am not much of a seafood fan ... so stepping into the world of sushi has always been a little daunting. Admittedly, I tried cooked salmon sushi years ago and was absolutely not a fan so I took a step away from being adventurous when it came to sushi.
 
I've always noticed the prepared sushi available at my local Trader Joe's. I'd look and think maybe I should give it a try, but was just overall hesitant. Then one day my co-worker gave me a California roll she got from a local sushi restaurant to try out. I enjoyed it and in that moment I guess I sprouted wings. So on a trip to Trader Joe's I decided to pick up a container of the Trader Joe's Spicy California Rolls. I know some people are wowed that my first trip into sushi was grocery store packaged ... but in my defense I'd rather not spend a lot of money at a sushi restaurant to be completely grossed out (in public) let alone grossed out in my own home. So store bought was truly the way to go to get my "feet wet" if you will.
 
The container comes complete with 8 spicy California rolls, a package of organic soy sauce, wasabi and ginger. The sushi itself holds up pretty well and doesn't crumble. The rice is a little harder but I feel that's normal for cold rice. The filling itself I don't find to be spicy and it's not offensive tasting. My preferred way to eat it was to add a little soy sauce, ginger and wasabi to each California roll and pop the whole thing in my mouth and chew. The condiments added to it really helped bring it all together and made it a delicious snack. I wouldn't say it would be a completely filling lunch since it's higher in carbohydrate than protein, but it was satisfying.
 
I have repurchased this numerous times and have found it to be equally enjoying with every purchase.
A serving, 3 rolls is 150 calories or 4 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment