Wednesday, October 15, 2014

EAS Fruit Smoothie - Fruits & Super Greens

Walking through Target one day I decided that I wanted to switch up my breakfast routine. For the longest time I've been in a bit of a breakfast rut - eating some of the same foods over and over again and I started to get bored. I didn't want to go to foods like cereal, etc., because I don't find those to be very satisfying in the morning - as I try to keep my breakfast protein packed (it helps me balance my appetite during the day/night). I spotted a bag of EAS Fruit Smoothie in Fruits & Super Greens.

What got me to pick up the bag was the "18g of protein" written on the front of the bag. Picking it up, I quickly checked out the nutrition facts. Pretty good stats, moderate amount of protein (not 18g - it's only that if made with 1 cup of skim milk, but 10g) and it contained greens which I've found I enjoy having made green juice a number of times.

The bag of smoothie mix is slightly pricey - $9.99 for 11 servings, but overall it's not terrible in price when divided out over that time period. The protein powder is made of vegetable based protein - so there is no whey in it, it's main ingredient is soy protein isolate.

I have been quite enjoying this protein powder. I've made a smoothie for myself for breakfast for almost 2-weeks and it's been satisfying and filing up until lunch time. I mix the protein powder with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup water. It could be dropped into a blender bottle and consumed that way ... but I prefer to make a smoothie out of it. I add 5-6 ice cubes to a blender, toss in a banana, add in the mixed up smoothie mixture and usually a few blueberries or 2 strawberries (if I have any on hand). I also add in a container of Greek yogurt (I've used banana, strawberry banana, coconut, mango lemonade, etc.) and it helps thicken it up a bit more while adding a good boost of extra protein to the drink. I think you could easily add some extra greens (spinach, cucumber, romaine, kale, etc.) to it without it really changing the flavor of the protein powder itself which provides good flavor.

It's satisfying, delicious and one of the best smoothies I've made in the morning because it stays nice and thick without watering down because of the added ice cubes. I'll definitely be picking up another bag to have on hand.  The only downside, which is a minor one, is the packaging. With it being a zip-lock container your hand gets covered in some powder retrieving the scoop and filling the scoop. Again, not a big deal, but I figured I'd share.

A serving is 2 scoops of powder, which is 90 calories or 2 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment