Sunday, October 5, 2014

Lay's Cappuccino Chips

When Lay's launched their Do Us a Flavor chip selection ... the one I was most hesitant about was the Lay's Cappuccino chips. Truthfully, I refused to buy them because when they were first launched they were only available in the big bags. I wasn't going to "waste" my money by buying a big bag and having to potentially throw it in the garbage.  So when I found a smaller bag at one of my local stores for $1 I decided to pick it up and give it a shot.
 
Now, I'm a coffee fan. I love coffee - hot or cold. I enjoy an occasional coffee ice cream. I enjoy an occasional cappuccino here or there. But I could not wrap my head around a cappuccino flavored potato chip. They're just two worlds that should never collide.
 
Opening up the bag ... there's an immediate cinnamon, cappuccino scent. There's no greasy smell from the potato chips ... just coffee. Something about the combination makes me incredibly weary. The chips are covered in a slightly brownish gray flavoring coating the chip, which makes them look daunting. Like they're dirty, old potato chips.
 
Taking the first bite you get an immediate burst of cappuccino/coffee flavoring ... and as you chew that flavor dissipates and it tastes just chemicals. The chemical taste is more apparent if you inhale as you put the chip in your mouth. It's quite weird, odd, and makes you think "what am I eating?!" A mouth full of odor-filled chemicals. Admittedly though if you eat 2 ... the flavor kind of goes away - or perhaps your taste buds just go on strike?
 
I'm not a fan of these, not even a bit. I think they're the worst idea in a potato chip flavor. Just ... wrong...
 
A 1 ounce serving (if you can even eat that many) is 160 calories or 4 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment