Monday, October 6, 2014

Trader Joe's Mini Ginger Pumpkin Ice Cream Mouthfuls

On my last trip through Trader Joe's it was very much pumpkin season. A lot of old favorites and a lot of new items on the shelves. One of those new items that I opted to pick up was the Trader Joe's Mini Ginger Pumpkin Ice Cream Mouthfuls.  I figured it was a double bingo because it would kill my want for an ice cream sandwich while it would also give me a taste of delicious pumpkin ice cream.
I had these tucked away in the freezer and my sweet tooth got the best of me so I pulled out the box last night. Size wise, I'd say the sandwiches are slightly bigger than the size of an Oreo cookie. The cookies have a little bit of a sugar 'crust' on the outside of them. Truthfully when I purchased them I didn't notice it was a ginger cookie - I thought it might be spiced pumpkin ice cream. But upon first bite, I learned they are very much ginger cookies .... and a spicy ginger cookie at that. They do pack quite a bit of heat in them, so if you're not a fan of spice or ginger, you're probably not going to be a fan of these. I wouldn't say the ginger is all around overwhelming but it is noticeable and at the forefront. The sandwich filling is a delicious pumpkin ice cream. The ice cream is smooth, creamy, deliciously fragrant with pumpkin flavor and very reminiscent of pumpkin pie. It's a very rich pumpkin ice cream which is what brings the whole dessert together. When eaten together it does give the flavor effect of a spiced pumpkin pie but it's not as overwhelming on the palette as I find spiced pumpkin pie to be.
Overall, they're pretty good and are quite refreshing ... but I found that by the second sandwich my taste buds were getting zinged here and there from the ginger flavor. Admittedly, that effect does help in stopping at a serving size possible.
A serving is 2 sandwiches, which are 120 calories or 3 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment