Sunday, December 7, 2014

Weight Watchers Bacon Meatloaf

I picked up the Weight Watchers Comfort Food Cookbook at my meeting with the intention on making a few recipes from it. With fall (and now winter-like weather) upon us comfort foods are where it's at. I have a fan favorite meatloaf that I always tend to make but seeing a Bacon Meatloaf I knew I had to give it a try.
So one evening I whipped up a meatloaf for dinner and I have to say it was delicious! My sister-in-law even said that it was one of the best meatloaves she has ever had (she may have even said it's better than the one her mother made). I personally found it to be one of the better meatloaves I have had in a while. It was juicy, flavorful and an overall crowd pleaser. It was so good I reinvented it into mini meatloaves which came out fabulously.

The recipe itself takes a small amount of prep work but everything comes together quickly and effortlessly - and before you know it, dinner is on the table.
Weight Watchers Bacon Meatloaf
Serves 6. 7 Points Plus Values/serving. 2 slices per serving. 257 calories.

Ingredients:
* 1 tbsp canola oil
* 3/4 lb white mushrooms, finely chopped
* 1 onion, finely minced
* 1 1/2 lbs ground lean beef (&% fat or less)
* 1/2 cup plain dried whole wheat bread crumbs
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 1 large egg, beaten
* 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 slices center cut bacon, cut lengthwise in half
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray small roasting pan with nonstick spray
2. Heat oil in large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion, cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Transfer mushroom mixture to large bowl; let cool slightly. Add beef, bread crumbs, ketchup, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and salt; mix until blended but not over-mixed.
4. Transfer meat loaf mixture to prepared pan; shape into a 4 x 8 inch loaf. Lay slices of bacon on top. Bake until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of load registers 160*F for well done, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into 12 slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment