Monday, December 22, 2014

Trader Joe's 'Spearean Risotto

Looking for a new side dish to jazz things up, I picked up a package of Trader Joe's 'Spearean Risotto one afternoon while picking up a few groceries. I've had risotto once, many moons ago, and since I love asparagus I figured it was going to be a unique and different side to have alongside dinner one night. That was, in fact a good thought.
 
The bag lists the dish as a "creamy risotto with a generous amount of savory and crisp cut asparagus spears." The dish is frozen and easily heated up in a pan over an open flame (or in the microwave if you're going for simple). The risotto and asparagus are frozen, while the creamy "sauce" is frozen in chunks which melts as the dish heats through - creating a creamy risotto dish. The asparagus isn't all tops as they appear on the bag ... it's more like stems and an occasional asparagus tip. Honestly, I like asparagus so it didn't bum me out that it wasn't all tops.
 
The risotto is softer in texture, the "sauce" is buttery and creamy, while the asparagus remains firm and not overcooked. Overall it was an enjoyable dish. Not overly rich in flavor but satisfying. If it were overly buttery my stomach would have probably put up the white flag and I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did. But overall, it got two thumbs up from me and I will repurchase.
 
A serving is 1 cup, which is 170 calories or 5 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment