Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Trader Joe's Mashed Potatoes

Whenever I'm at Trader Joe's I always scope out the store - see what's new, what's unique or what seems interesting. I love mashed potatoes (or potatoes in general) so when I spotted a bag of frozen Trader Joe's Mashed Potatoes in the freezer section I was intrigued. There aren't very many instant potato brands that I enjoy (outside of Idahoan packages) but I was intrigued by this. Fresh mashed potatoes that are frozen, convenient AND portion sized?
 
I had the package in my freezer for some time, not quite sure what I was going to do with them. I pulled them out the other day for a side with dinner and I have to say ... these potatoes are pretty amazing.  They come frozen, shaped in little round "coin" sized balls. You can cook as little or as many as you choose depending on how much you want as a serving.
 
I placed all the potato balls in the bottom of a non-stick pan, added in the water as directed and let it come together over medium-high heat. I was quite pleased with the end result. Smooth, creamy, mashed potatoes that involved little effort. No potatoes to peel, chop and boil.
 
The bag states you can flavor them up with chicken broth, butter, or the simple water method (which is what I chose). I seasoned them with a little sea salt and black pepper and they were good to go. Delicious paired alongside some meatloaf and mixed veggies. They were so good I picked up another bag on my latest trip to Trader Joe's to have on hand for days where I feel like mashed potatoes.
 
A serving, 8 pieces (4 ounces) is 90 calories or 2 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment