Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Skinnytaste Turkey Pastelon (Sweet Plantain Lasagna)

I live in a predominantly hispanic area so I've grown up incorporating spanish dishes into my palette since I was a kid. Prior to joining Weight Watchers I've had my share of pastelon, although to save time we'd make Canoas - which are stuffed sweet plantains. The plantains were peeled, cut down the middle, lightly fried, then placed into a casserole dish, topped with a ground beef mixture, topped with cheese and baked off in the oven for the plantain to cook through. The "lazy mans lasagna" of pastelon.
 
As an avid fan of the Skinnytaste website/cookbook I've had the Skinnytaste Turkey Pastelon (Sweet Plantain Lasagna) dish pinned and printed for quite some time. My boyfriend at the time wasn't a fan of cheese, so avoiding having to make two dishes for dinner I opted to just not make it. That is until I stumbled upon the recipe again and decided I was going to prep it for dinner one night.
 
Prepping the dish was quite simple. Although I find after assembling began that I should have sliced my bananas thinner to make for a "lasagna" effect but since they weren't thin enough I only had enough bananas to cover 2 layers worth instead of 3. That fact aside it didn't cut back on the taste or flavor.
 
I have to say this dish is absolutely delicious! It's flavorful, packed with delicious flavors, topped with a wonderful cheese and egg mixture which truly does help hold the dish together. It's filling, packed with protein and is satisfying enough to have alongside a side salad for dinner.  I shared the dish with my parents and they both equally enjoyed it - so it was undoubtedly a crowd pleaser and something I will be making again when the craving strikes!
 
If you'd like to make the dish yourself, you can find the recipe on the Skinnytaste website: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/turkey-pastelon-sweet-plantain-lasagna.html.
 
A serving is 282 calories or 7 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment