Friday, December 6, 2013

Quick & Easy Vegetable Fried Rice



A few weeks ago I needed a quick side dish to go along side some satay peanut chicken. Since potato and plain rice wasn’t my idea of ideal I poked through the cabinets and decided to make a quick vegetable fried rice. Since I didn’t have frozen vegetables on hand I used a few canned vegetables along with a packet of fried rice seasoning mix.

Overall the dish came out perfect. It was packed with flavor, was filling and it made for a pretty large and in charge serving. It was definitely far more satisfying than a vegetable fried rice I could have ordered from any Chinese food restaurant.

I didn’t have any scallions (green onions) on hand but when I make this again I will definitely be adding those to the dish. The scallions would not only give it color but it would give it a complimentary mild onion flavor which I love.

Of course I used peas, carrots and water chestnuts but ideally you could make this exact recipe with anything you enjoy. Bean sprouts, onions, egg, etc., and you could even add a protein of your choice to it to make it a meal instead of a side dish.

5 Points Plus Values. Serves 6. 1 ¼ cup serving.
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups cooked white rice, room temperature
  • 15 oz canned peas & carrots, drained
  • 1 packet Fried Rice Seasoning (I used Sun-Bird)
  • 8 oz can whole water chestnuts, drained and chopped into quarters
  • 2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 4 tbsp water
  • 1/3 cup baby corn, cut into smaller chunks

Spray the bottom of a nonstick skillet with Pam. Add in white rice and let heat through, crisping up slightly.

In a small bowl mix together water, soy sauce and fried rice seasoning packet.  Once well incorporated pour over rice and mix together until rice is coated with seasoning.

Add in canned peas & carrots, baby corn and water chestnuts. Stir to combine. Allow the mixture to heat through for 2-3 minutes (just enough for the vegetables to warm) before removing from the flame.

Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment