Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Power of Positive Thinking




I’ll be truthfully honest – I used to be a VERY negative person.  The grass was never greener, everyone was an idiot and it just was not my day.  Because of this I was never really happy.  I wasn’t happy with myself, I wasn’t happy with my surroundings, I wasn’t happy with where my life was going – and I wasn’t doing anything to change it.

After starting my weight loss journey I found that my tolerance for negative thinking was lessening.  If I thought positively I started to see that more and more positive things would come to light.  I began to switch up my thinking and began tweaking and changing the things that I didn’t like.  With the help of my boyfriend I began looking at the things I could NOT change in a different light – a different angle even.

One thing to remember is that positivity goes a LONG way! You can and will be amazed with how much happier you can be when you wheedle out the negative (people/thinking, etc). I realize sometimes it's hard to see the greener pasture but it’s doable - that is in regard to anything: weight loss, health, personal life, work, family, stressors etc. Things only get better if you think them better first.

Make each event a lesson to learn from.  That person that is frustrating you -- What about them frustrates you – and is it really them or is it you?  Have you slipped up and had an “off day”? Don’t throw in the towel thinking you’re a failure.  Chalk it up to a bad day, take note of it, remember and start over from step 1 the next day or even the very next meal.

Since changing the way I think, I’ve truly changed my life.  I’m a happier person and I allow myself a moment or two to step back from a frustrating situation to evaluate and to look at a situation in a different light.  Sure I have my moments of sheer annoyance (we all do) but I don’t let that screw up my whole day, nor do I allow myself to fester over it (or turn to a whole pizza over).

Keep your chin up, take a deep breath and withdraw from the negativity.  It’s worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a post very similar to this one over the weekend :). Check it out!

    It's amazing how small changes can really change your life! You're such an inspiration to so many Shannon.. keep it up :)

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally insightful post! It's great to read another persons journey, it's enlightening!

      Small changes are the start of bigger and better changes in the long-run. Thank you -- it still blows my mind when I'm told I'm an inspiration. I still get all "who me?"

      Delete