Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Brownies

I picked up a box of this Reduced Guilt Brownie Mix at Trader Joe's on my last trip through the store.  I'm a complete brownie fanatic but I don't necessarily like the calorie content that comes with a brownie.  I know, you can make a brownie as healthy as possible by substituting ingredients (apple sauce, banana, water, etc.) but sometimes you just want a good ole brownie.

These Reduced Guilt brownies intrigued me because all you had to do was add in 2/3 cup of fat free vanilla Greek yogurt (or plain with a splash of vanilla).  Considering I am a Weight Watchers member, I quickly converted the nutrition label into points and it was 3-points for 1/12th of the box.  Not bad, considering most brownies would cost 5 points or more.  I then calculated it with the Geek yogurt and it was still at 3-points, so I had to get it!

I whipped these up as the box stated -- and I admit I added in 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (eggbeaters) because I could just not get my brownie mix to go smooth.  I baked them per the box directions and they turned out great!  Keep in mind since these are a fat free brownie, they do have a cake-like texture to them.  They are most certainly chocolatey and moist, but they're not ooey gooey fudge brownies. Overall two thumbs up -- definitely a rebuy!

4 comments:

  1. Those look good! Have you tried these: http://www.amazon.com/No-Pudge-Brownie-Original-13-7-Ounce/dp/B000GZYAN2

    Last time I was on WW (when I went to meetings) someone suggested it. We bought it and it was sooo good!! And back then it was only 1pt! Not sure about now... but they were yummy! I literally just put it in a ramekin, added yogurt and then microwaved!

    -Steph from Through Thick and Thin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried those but I know my local grocery store used to (or still does - not sure) sell those. I'll have to check it out :) thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. Just bought this mix tonight! Hoping the "single serving dairy free" version is just as good as you're making it sound! feel free to connect with me on my blog! ssfit.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy! I've got to pick another box up ... these are great but they are cake-like. I'll keep my fingers crossed the dairy free version works wonderfully!

      Delete