Thursday, July 9, 2015

Trader Joe's - Brown Rice - Fully Cooked (Microwaveable)

I've tried to make the switch to brown rice when packaging up meals. Although if I don't have any cooked brown rice on hand when packaging up meals it can get a little time consuming (due to the fact brown rice takes a lot longer than white rice to cook). When I spotted packages of Trader Joe's Brown Rice - Fully Cooked (Microwaveable) I was intrigued and picked up a package.
 
These are along the lines of the pre-packaged rices sold by Uncle Ben's. All you have to do is rip the top off the bag and pop it (standing up) into the microwave and heat for 90 seconds. After that, you've got brown rice that's ready to plate up any way you choose.
 
Texture wise ... in all honesty, you can tell it's not freshly made brown rice. But if you sprinkle it with a little salt, pepper and a little butter and serve it alongside a vegetable and protein of your choice you think you're having the real thing. It's slightly drier in texture, but it's not terrible. I wouldn't go out of my way to say it's the best convenience variety brown rice I've had, while it's certainly not the worst, but it's not bad for an on the fly type of scenario.
 
A serving, 1/2 cup is 120 calories or 3 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment