Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Halo Top Birthday Cake Ice Cream

After introducing myself to Halo Top - I knew I wanted to try more flavors. Initially my grocery store only had some of their "basic" flavors - so I was intrigued and surprised to see my local grocery store was carrying the Halo Top Birthday Cake Ice Cream. I had heard rave reviews about it online ... and since birthday cake is one of my favorite grocery store ice cream flavors, I had to give it a try.

I noticed when opening the container, the ice cream wasn't as dark in color as the others I had tried. Flavor wise it was quite good - spot on birthday cake. It had all the vanilla cake flavoring without actually putting chunks of cake into the ice cream. The only additive is little bits of sprinkles which are mixed throughout the ice cream. It adds a nice texture difference between the ice cream and the sprinkles.

The one major difference I found in this particular is cream is it had an airy quality to it. It wasn't anywhere near as creamy as the vanilla bean or the strawberry. It almost has a drier texture to it - which is really odd for ice cream. It's not bad, it's just not the consistency I'm "used to" with ice cream. After I had my serving, a few people suggested I let this one sit out at room temperature about 10 minutes to allow it to warm up a bit which they stated gives it that creamy effect. But I guess I don't have enough patience for that because the next time I had it, I ate it straight out of the freezer.

I'd certainly pick this one up again if I was in the mood for birthday cake ice cream, but it's not one of my favorites so far. I'd stick with the vanilla bean, strawberry and the (spoiler alert:) oatmeal cookie.

A serving is 1/2 cup which is 70 calories or 2 smartpoints. 1 cup is 5 smartpoints, 1 1/2 cups is 7 smart points and the whole pint is 10 smartpoints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment