Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Halo Top Strawberry Ice Cream

I recall seeing Halo Top posted all over social media – Facebook, Instagram, YouTube … but I couldn’t get my hands on it for the longest time because no retailer in my area sold it. I had heard wind that Whole Foods sold it – but my local Whole Foods is 20 minutes in a complete opposite direction of anywhere I normally frequent so it seemed like such a drag to go out of my way for a product I may not even find (since I’ve heard how it’s difficult to find because people scoop it up quickly).

If you’re not familiar, Halo Top is a low-calorie, high protein, low sugar ice cream – which is marketed as tasting just like regular ice cream, just without the guilt. One thing I do want to point out is: unlike other companies marketing schemes, Halo Top prints the calories for the entire pint on the front of their labels along with the flavor of the ice cream. No sneaky marketing tactic which makes you think an entire pint is 100 calories, etc.

Low and behold I was shocked to find my local grocery store had brought the ice cream in – so I opted to spend the $4.99 and give it a whirl. There weren’t many flavors available so I opted to go with the Halo Top Strawberry Ice Cream.  It was a toss up between strawberry, chocolate, chocolate mocha chip and vanilla bean. I love vanilla ice cream, but I opted to go with the strawberry for a different flavor (I’m not a big chocolate ice cream fan so that was a no-go).

Upon the first scoop I was completely blown away. The flavor, the creaminess and the amazingly delicious taste. I’ve tried other healthier alternatives to ice cream and this one blew all of them out of the water. The strawberry was a true strawberry flavor, not chemically altered.  The ice cream was amazingly creamy which was surprising considering other brands I’ve tried; they’ve all had an icy quality to them. No iciness to this beauty, just creamy, high quality ice cream flavoring.  Some say to let the ice cream sit out at room temperature to soften up a bit – but I found this to be perfection straight out of the freezer. I don’t quite know how they do it, and I won’t question it much – but I’ve been sold, hook line and sinker since.

A serving, ½ cup is 70 calories or 2 smart points. 1 cup is 5 smart points, 1 ½ cups is 7 smart points and the entire pint is 10 smartpoints.

1 comment: