Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Emily Bites Cheesy Potluck Potatoes

Lately I've been getting into a food rut so I decided to step out of the box and try a new side dish. Turns out I've enjoyed it so much, it's been almost a weekly staple I've made to go alongside the various proteins I make for meals during the week.

On my weekend trip through the grocery store I picked up the ingredients needed to make Emily Bites Cheesy Potluck Potatoes and popped my frozen hash brown potatoes in the refrigerator to thaw once I returned home. When I got around to making the dish, while mixing all the ingredients together, I wasn't sure how it'd turn out. Thankfully the end result muted any potential doubt in my mind.

The recipe takes absolutely no time to whip together, perhaps just a little preparation work which means setting a bag of frozen hash browns potatoes in the refrigerator to defrost. After that it's pretty much a matter of dump, stir, bake.  I will admit, I have omitted the onion from the recipe simply because my boyfriend has an allergy - but either way, it's been absolutely delicious. The potatoes bake up wonderfully - the outside creates a nice crust, while the inner layer stays gooey and cheesy. So far all that have tried it (I have made this recipe 4-times since giving it a go) have really enjoyed it and look forward to it. 

If you're concerned with the use of the fat free cream of chicken soup - have no worries, the soup does not create any chicken-esque flavoring. I've enjoyed this as a side dish alongside steak, chicken and one of my absolute favorite ways to have this is included with my breakfast. A little scrambled eggbeaters over the top with a side of bacon/sausage make it a home run.

A serving, 1/8th of the recipe, is 190 calories or 5 points plus values.


No comments:

Post a Comment