Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DIY: Pita Bread Pizzas!



Pizza – my all time favorite food! Yet sometimes, pizza doesn’t love those who eat it – but then again that all depends on what you are putting on it. If you’re loading it up with fatty toppings you’re going to push up the calorie content and the fat content. I do enjoy making my own homemade pizzas. Although one way to keep an eye on what you’re taking in and throwing a healthier spin on pizza is to make it on pita bread! You could even swap out the pita bread for Lavash or English muffins, but it’s all a personal preference. The great thing about making your own pita bread pizzas is you have full control as to what goes on it. Sauce, cheese, meats, vegetables, spices, etc. You can even experiment and make a number of these for when guests come over. I have done this in the past when my brother, sister-in-law and niece visit I whip up a few of these and they can go along way because they can get filling.

This time around I made a few different ones, some with toppings that repeated.

Pita pizza with pepperoni. My boyfriends pie. Just your classic take on a pepperoni pizza – sauce, cheese and turkey pepperoni. I then added a light sprinkle of Italian seasoning over the top before putting in the oven.

Pita pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms and banana pepper rings. Pizza for our guest, made to their request. A twist on your classic pepperoni pizza with mushrooms and banana peppers thrown into the mix. As with the others, I added a light sprinkle of Italian seasoning over the top.

Pita pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach and banana pepper rings. My personal pizza. I love veggies, so I loaded up on this one adding mushrooms, broccoli, spinach and banana pepper rings. I also took 3 turkey pepperoni slices, tore them in half and sprinkled those over the pizza. Then I also added Italian seasoning over the top before baking off in the oven. I will say if I use mushrooms next time I make this, I will certainly be cooking the mushrooms beforehand; they were a little underdone to my liking. Also, I’ll mix the spinach with some minced garlic because it just tasted like bland blobs of green on the pie. Not bad, but the spinach was blah.

QUESTIONS:
Have you ever made pita bread pizza?
Out of the three pizzas listed above, which would you like the best?

Images are mine do not take or use. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment