Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Strawberry, Pineapple & Coconut Cake

I’ve been on this baking kick as of late I’ve been making cupcakes and muffins and enjoying it all. I’ve wanted to make a pineapple cake for a few weeks now but just hadn’t gotten around to it. I then saw a strawberry coconut cake on pinterest and then wanted to make that. So then I thought … why not just combine the two together? Pineapples and strawberries go perfectly well together and coconut could just be an added treat. Now if you follow some of my food posts, particularly my baking posts (particularly on LUUUX), you see that I like to use healthy alternatives in baking. That is primarily eliminating the use of eggs, oil and butter in my cooking. I do use those things in other ways but there are ways to make moist, delicious cakes/muffins, etc. without using them. I also wanted to test this recipe out because my boyfriends moms birthday is in a couple weeks and I’m pushing him into making her a cake (with my help of course).

Because of the Jello and coconut the cake has a little bit of a heavier texture. The pineapple gives it a wetter/moister texture when compared to regular cakes that use oil and eggs. The whipped cream is perfectly light to go along with it because the cake itself is sweet enough on its own. Overall a fabulous treat and one that I’ll be making again.

The cake has many layers to it, but it is quite simple to make!

Serves 10. 8 Points Plus Values. 
Ingredients:
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 box of sugar free strawberry Jell-oo
- 1 can of crushed pineapple
- 3/4c shredded sweet coconut
- 1 tub light Cool-whip

In a large bowl mix the cake mix, Jell-o, crushed pineapple and half the coconut mixture together - using a large spoon or a hand mixer.  When incorporated, equally distribute the batter into two greased cake pans.  Bake according to the box directions.

Once the cakes are done, let them cool completely.

Place one cake onto the center of your cake dish and smear about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of whipped cream on top of the bottom layer, then added the second cake on top of it.

Frost the entire cake (top and sides) with the whipped cream. When done, sprinkle the other half of coconut over the top of the cake.  If you're feeling fancy, you can dye the coconut with red food coloring to a pink hue.

QUESTIONS:
Have you ever incorporated healthier techniques into either your cooking or baking?


No comments:

Post a Comment