Sunday, March 29, 2015

Trader Joe's Meatless Corn Dogs

After I tried the Trader Joe's Turkey Corn Dogs I swore off the whole corn dog experience (at least from Trader Joe's). That is until I saw a friend on Instagram post about the Trader Joe's Meatless Corn Dogs. I figured I typically like frozen vegetarian corn dogs better than the meat variety ... so I opted to pick up a box to give a whirl.
 
The other night I was so unsure as to what I wanted for dinner. I stood in front of the freezer scanning my potential options and I decided to give the corn dogs a shot. I popped them into the oven and let them bake. When done, the crust on the outside was nicely crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside (perfection!). Biting into the "hot dog" I found the texture to be softer and mushier than that of a real hot dog. It wasn't a displeasing texture, but it's certainly a little different.
 
As a "meat eater" I can say if you served these to a crowd, no one would truly know they're vegetarian, they'd just know the texture of the hot dog inside was a little softer than your average hot dog. I find with vegetarian corn dogs they are all made differently and the filling is always made up slightly different so not one is the same as another. Regardless, I found them to be pretty good with a drizzle of mustard and ketchup over them.
 
They were filling (I served them alongside some french fries and a green salad) and flavorful. I'd definitely repurchase these again.

A serving, 1 corn dog is 160 calories or 4 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment