Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Protein Packed Flapjack and Waffle Mix


Pancakes and waffles are one of those foods that I feel is a cult favorite. They're versatile and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner (no judgement zone!). So when I heard about Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Protein Packed Flapjack and Waffle Mix I made sure to venture to my local Target in search of the hidden gem. When they're not on sale, a box of mix averages around $5 - which is pricey, but it's a lot cheaper than buying a box with online retailers such as Amazon.

Admittedly, I enjoy pancakes or waffles but if I don't have them with an equally packed protein side I find my hunger creeps back a lot faster than it should. Partly because waffles or pancakes are more carbohydrate than protein and the balance doesn't always set well in my system. Kodiak cakes have a whopping 14 grams of protein in it. This of course can be increased if you choose to incorporate your mix with egg whites, skim milk, etc.

My first attempt at making pancakes was a complete and utter fail. Why? I used banana in the mix (as I normally do with regular pancake mix). This unfortunately made the batter way too wet and the pancakes wouldn't form while cooking and turned to complete mush when it was time to flip. I posed a question on Instagram I was so frustrated and the folks who run the Kodiak instagram reached out and advised bananas make the mix too wet so they suggest cutting back on the amount of liquid if you really want to use banana - or just use banana to bake with the mix.

My second attempt, I opted to go with water as my base liquid and I added a few fresh blueberries to the mix. This turned out to be successful and the pancakes formed perfectly and cooked up to perfection. I ate them for breakfast served with some sliced banana and some Walden Farms blueberry pancake syrup.

Outside of banana pancakes being out of the running, I do quite enjoy this mix. I find a serving when paired alongside a small protein (breakfast sausage) it's more than enough to keep me satisfied until lunch time. The pancakes are light in texture and I don't notice any real difference between these and your average run of the mill pancake mix. They're quite good and I can't wait to experiment with what I can whip up using this mix in either pancake, waffle or baked goods form.

A serving, 1/2 cup dry mix, is 190 calories or 5 points plus values.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Information! Thanks for sharing such a nice knowledge, now please check this out - kodiak cakes glycemic index

    ReplyDelete